Sunday, August 19, 2018

Local Treats 3 La Loggia!

Boy are we lucky!
Our neighborhood of Ioffredo/Castello has been seeing some nice growth lately.  A couple of years ago a wonderful pasticceria opened, way up at the top of the Castello frazione.  That was followed by a small brewery and a chocolate producer.  But what we discovered the other night really made us sing!

I knew that a restaurant had opened up, a place that specialized in grilled meats, but we hadn't had the chance to visit it and frankly, I was a bit skeptical about what to expect.  But the other night our neighbors went and raved about it, so we decided to give it a try.  Believe me, it was a success!

I walked up the night before our planned dinner to make a reservation.  I was greeted so warmly by the entire staff!  Immediately one of the partners took me around to show me the work that they had done, how the entire structure had been renovated in a way that reflected and respected the history of the area.  They showed me the upstairs rooms where 50-60 diners could be accommodated, both inside and outside.  They showed me the room where they have created a "seasoning" vault, where salumi and cheeses are allowed to age.  They showed me the area that they have planned to open a small boutique that will highlight local products and wines.  And, best of all, they showed me the B&B that will be opening in October, where four rooms with baths have been prepared and where guests will be able to lose themselves in time, escaping the noise and confusion of the city for the peace and charm of our historic neighborhood.







Our dinner the following evening was one to be remembered.  The menu offered a rich variety of antipasti to start off, complete with a tagliera of prosciutto and cheeses of the highest quality, and then at least 7 other tastings....meatballs, bruschetta, mixed grain salad, bits of stewed meat, bits of "organs" that Americans might throw away, and bits of veggies that were very tasty.  After this, who could eat any more?  Well, we managed to!




 Two first courses are prepared each evening.  We had a choice of pasta and potatoes or tagliatelle with caccio e peppe.  We knew we couldn't do justice to a full plate of pasta so we were going to do without, until our server suggested just a small portion to be shared by the table.  Perfect!  Out came a lovely little crock with ladle, with which we scooped out a nice little taste of pasta e patate, just enough to let us appreciate the simplicity of this peasant dish made with top quality products.




Finally came our tagliata....grilled steaks sliced into manageable strips atop a bed of arugula and accompanied by a small salad and a platter of grilled potatoes. The meat was tender and well cooked, mine cooked rare as requested, the others cooked medium.   What we were unable to finish was packed up and carried home, to be enjoyed the next day.

I can't tell you how happy we are to have a reasonably priced fine dining establishment within walking distance of our home.  Judging from the numbers of clients we saw coming in during our dinner, we are not the only ones to appreciate the efforts of the Iuliano family.  They have added an important piece to the rebirth of Castello, bringing life and new visitors to our beautiful and quaint neighborhood.  All I can say is, we will be back, and we'll be bringing friends!

6 comments:

  1. I went to Italy in 1971 to visit my grandmother's hometown of Cervinara (Valle). Her maiden name was Anna Valente and she had 11 brothers and one sister. I ran into a Woman who was from New York City, married to a man from Valle. She translated for me so I could speak to my grandmother's sister. Was that you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm afraid I was still in high school in CT in 1971! I discovered Cervinara after I married my husband, whose parents were born here. Now that we're retired we spend more time here but CT is still home. Valente is a very common name here. Our cortile neighbors are Valente. You should come back for another visit. Cervinara has changed a lot in the past 50 years!

      Delete
    2. My mother comes from cervinara in avellino. All my family on her side still lives there. I will be the first weekend in sept.
      I love it there. I try to make it to see them at least once a year.
      My cousins own Macelleria Iuliano on Via Roma.

      Delete
  2. Well then you know this place well! I was really impressed with the professionalism of the staff and the quality of the foods. We leave here on Tuesday....just missing you! Enjoy your stay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was my cousin Francesco in that photo when i saw it. Im am at the place now and my friend dora confirmed that it is theirs. Im going back into town to see them. Even the internet is a small world.
    Mario

    ReplyDelete