Saturday, September 9, 2017

Broken Bones and Broken Hearts

We're baaaack!

After a very prolonged absence, we have finally made it back to our little home in the hills.  It's been so nice to see everyone, and I'm in my usual spot at the bar.  The guys here are so nice and immediately cleaned off a table in the back room for me to set up my computer station.  I'll be depending on them more than usual this year because we're only here for five weeks and it's not really worth it to take out an internet service contract for a month.  My access will be limited to bar time unless we're off to visit with family that have Wi-Fi connections.  I guess we're really roughing it this year!

As in years past, our first activities have involved getting the old place inhabitable again.  While not as bad as last year's mold disaster, this year has seemed to take a lot out of us.  We filled two wheelbarrows with dirt, weeds, sand, and fallen stucco chunks from the courtyard yesterday.  It is amazing this house is still standing with the amount of building material we cart away every year! 

After that clean up we started tackling the inside of the house.  Believe me, it was a yeoman's job!  Cobwebbing the ceilings, wiping a year's worth of grit off of every piece of furniture, sweeping up more grit and sand from every floor....by the fourth hour, I was really hurting.  I'm not one to shy away from tough jobs, and I try not to be a complainer, but by yesterday evening I felt that every bone in my body had been beaten or broken.  The Advil helped, but I was out of commission until well into the evening. Add to that the two runs to the grocery store to restock our larder, and a visit to the hardware store to make some extra keys for our new portone lock and I was ready to crash by 9:00.  I'm getting too old for this!

Today, was two loads of laundry, swabbing out the bathrooms, washing floors and hosing down the courtyard and our beautiful antique stone stairs.  And that is when I saw the broken hearts. 

For years, we have enjoyed a beautiful plant called "cuore del professore" or "teacher's heart".  My husband has no memories of Cervinara without these plants strategically placed in pots by our entry way. Its green foliage is speckled with white spots, the leaves are vaguely heart shaped and lovely to see.  But it is this plant's strength in adversity that gives it its name, I am sure.   They live through bitter cold and dry spells, through neglect and abuse, just the way a teacher's heart survives rejection, abuse and neglect.  We could always count on these plants welcoming us home.  But apparently, this year's record breaking heat and drought proved too much for the hearts.  Every pot we had was filled with desiccated, brown leaves with nary a green sprout to give us hope that something might have survived.  We have usually been able to count on our courtyard families to water things when we are gone, but I'm afraid that the years have taken their toll on our friends and their time here has been very limited to non-existent.  I'm not sure if we will see them at all this year, and that also breaks my heart.

The years catch up to us all, I guess.  I'm not willing to give up the ghost just yet, but I do know that I'm reaching a point where things just get harder and take longer than they used to.  Moderation and 'hired help' are the watch words from now on.  As for our cuore del professore....I have found a couple of survivors in the courtyard garden.  After the weeds were cleared away a single plant appeared.  It seems to be in pretty good health and maybe I'll be able to transplant some cuttings to those empty pots.  Keeping fingers crossed that next year we'll have those hearts back by our door, greeting all who come our way. 

Here is a photo of our lovely plants in happier times!

4 comments:

  1. Don't give up! I have a very black thumb, but have managed to revive a 16-year old oxalis (and it's an annual!) every year. It survived four years in Emma's college room and now lives in MA, where it is subjected to repeated absences, often with little H20. And only transplanted a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorothy,

    I apologize for posting this comment here, but I am unsure of where else to address my question.

    I noticed while reading your blog that you are a teacher from the US. I work for a company right outside Chicago,IL that provides language training to expats and their families. We currently have a woman who is preparing for a move to the US from Cervinara. As she prepares for this move, she would like to begin English lessons and I am wondering if you as an American HS teacher, may be interested in working with her or if you know of any other teachers who may be interested. Would you mind letting me know? My work email is ateske@eltlearn.com

    Thanks in advance for your time!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Kathryn, My fathers family is from Cervinara. I live in the states and have never had the opportunity to travel to Italy. I have always wanted to learn more about the area my family is from, foods from that region recipes, culture etc. Our Last name is Marro, I don't know if you have met anyone there by that name . I have never followed a blog before so I am not sure how to do it, I stumbled across this while I was trying to look up information of the area. Please keep writing about the area so I can learn more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn! Marro is a very common name in Cervinara. In fact, my husband's half sister was married to Luigi Marro. There are a few Facebook pages dedicated to Cervinara and its residents both there and abroad. Check out "Cervinara Roots Around the World" and Cervinaresi all'estero on Facebook. You may be able to discover some relatives! When did your dad come to the States? You can follow the blog by clicking on the follow icon. I also publish it on Facebook and those other pages. Welcome to the group!

      Delete